Jun 8, 2009

Aromas all the way from chennai :D


All the way from custom made pastas to the Chef's baked bowl, I have explored almost every vegetarian specialty at a lot of places. However my favorite continues to be the signature 'idli vadai sambhar' and 'degree coffee' in Saravana Bhavan on the busy roads of Pondy Bazaar.

There is something nostalgic about relishing the idli dipped in chutney. And I have never tasted anything like what I call 'Special Sambar' from Saravana bhavan.

It reminds me of childhood. Of days when I used to return from school and hurry down the busy roads in order to watch whatever appeared on TV. I used to wait for Amma to return from office, so that we could take the much awaited trip to the Siva Vishnu temple on Usman Road. Now I have to admit that my primary interest was to window shop on my way to the temple. The bangle seller, the poo-kaari, the second hand book store, the kulfi-wala and the the panjumittai-karan with his hot pink cotton candies provided the sort of entertainment that Door Darshan didn't.

And once the archanais and abhishekams were over, Amma would occasionally walk me across to the tiffin section of one of the earliest Saravana Bhavan outlets. On the days she had enjoyed herself at work I would be rewarded with my favourite 'sada dosai' in the A/C section on the third floor. The waiters who by then were our extended family always made it a point to keep an extra kinnam of their famous HSB'Sambar'. After dinner I would grab some somph in my right hand and salute the sentry at the door. Outside Saravana Bhavan, Amma would help herself to the customary paan and advice me on the repercussions of children tasting paan! If I managed a convincing puppy dog face she would buy me a Goldspot or Frooti from Nadar stores on the way home. We would walk back with an unexplained contentment in our lives. And I would thank Siva Vishnu for being so strategically located...

Almost 16 years later, the sada dosai with HSB Sambar (and now a degree coffee has joined the list) brings back memories of innocent days and carefree moments...Of times when all that mattered was that extra kinnam of the famous Sambar :)

2 comments:

germinal dreamer said...

I can so empathize. Most of the privileged kids go thru this, Happiness is thrusted upon them, with nothing to worry.
I wish 2 things:
Wish we could stay young forever.
Wish every kid could have such a blissful life.
Former is impossible. Latter,atleast we can do something about it. Help the kids

Migrating Thoughts - Ramblings of a Mind said...

@germinal: Nicely put da:) Very thoughtful and sweet:) Nothing brings more happiness than seeing a big smile from those kids :)