
Rang De Basanti- Cry, My beloved country
OK I get that li'l "oh no not another one!!!" expression on your face. But let me tell you, each person has a different opinion and expressed differently. I saw the movie and here is MY review. I have read quite a few reviews on the movie.
Sometimes I make the mistake of forming opinions based on the reviews.
Anyways, after planning for the movie since monday, we finally landed up in the theatre (along with my friends...;) heheh sups) The opening sequence was good if not extraordinary, Rehman's music catches up with you. If I remember it was Swades last time...(and the Title music was mind-blowing there!) You are given a peek into the backbone of the movie. I won't talk about the story since some are yet to watch it. The feel of the movie right from the beginning is that of a lurking seriousness underneath a seemingly happy one. Or may I felt that cos I was expecting that seriousness to hit me since I was already hinted about it. But when the real characters are introduced the movie suddenly jumps gears and you are treated to a flurry of bike rides, car rides, gaalis, typical masti types. Characterisation is par excellent!!! I felt the role of Gen. Mckinsey (is that his name??), grandfather of Sue, was sketched quite well.
Watching all the antics of these guys, the pace of the movie gets easy. You know what they are, their backgrounds etc etc. But here and there, you will find few moments of "truths". The ones which especially ringed in my mind with a reveberating sound are about "life in India", the "can't help the nation", the "communal angle".
Once the REAL story gets going, the flashback and the history, the movie-in-movie, the guys get serious and more serious. Nothing much happens till interval, it's the fun part that gets the movie going in this part. Though, as I said earlier, one can smell the silent simmering it is fairly covered.

The second half is more about the realisation of the first part. Like engineers are taught, the 2nd half of the movie is the application part of the first half's theory. When the tragedy strikes (what tragedy... this plot of the story was out looong before..damn the promotions), the reactions from the characters and then the outbursts at the minister's comments, the demonstration and the lathi charge... synchronised perfectly with the past. But this is where the movie starts getting hyper. OK I was not entirely convinced by their plan of action, but then thats the movie. And the backfiring of the plan, followed by the next events definitely will keep the viewer interested. And then the ultimate letdown for me in the was the climax. I seriously doubt the government would do what the movie depicts. Even terrorists are given a chance to surrender... these guys are after all college students with no "evil" intentions. But then the second phone call Siddharth takes, from a Headmaster, sums up the balanced view of their action. I say, the ending could have been better, if not the acquittal of the five, as is the trend in the earlier movies, where the hero even after killing a hundred baddies is let free. But on second thoughts, may be the ending was suitable if not correct.
What it means to me is important. I see that the ending, followed by the numerous interviews with students all over country, depicts what exactly those martyrs Azad, Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev wanted. The message of revolt to everyone. This justifies the ending!!! It was the message that they wanted to convey to the people and probably didn't expect the shooting stuff. They were ready for a sacrifice but not in the way they had to give it. Hats off!!
Movies nowadays are not about rosy endings and happily ever-afters. They are as hard hitting as the "art" films once were, even if it requires the entire cast to be wiped off. Sounds good to me, as long as they don't overdo it. The movie was about the message.. and if it got conveyed then I see no problem with the ending. I may be upset a bit but thats the way I had to feel.
Now this is an extremely long review (review???). I doubt I myself won't read it again for proof-reading.
The movie was excellent. Everything about it was. The scenes, the scripts,the casting, the characterisations, the lighting, the music , the acting, etc. Just about everything. I was impressed from the start till the end. What was thought to be a college movie turned out to be something inspirational. No doubt the basic storyline has been done in many movies trying to awaken the young generation of India. I guess it's the way it is done that makes a difference. Sad to say that the message of this story would definitely be forgotten once a crappy movie

CAST:
It was good that the cast was not entirely star studded. Amir reminded one of his role in Mangal Pandey, so there was not much of an impact from him for me. Anyway, everyone knows Amir is an excellent actor. But lover boy Siddarth's characterisation of Bhagat Singh was mind blowing. That fella's eyes are so alive. I guess some movie makers thought they could only use it for love scenes. But they are capable of saying more. He shows defiance, resignation, fear, anger, disappointment, laughter and many more with his eyes. Siddarth comes as a very quiet cool guy in Rang but his acting potential is shown. Comparing in cuteness and sexiness is Kunal Kapoor. Tall, tanned, well built he comes across as an emotional muslim guy who just wants to live a peaceful life away from hatred. Gals, you got to watch out for these 2 guys when u see the movie.
On the whole Karan ( Siddharth) stole the screen. He was awesome.
The 2nd half was way too emotional for me.. i kept taking a lot of tissues.
Ok ill stop here...
2 comments:
GIRL, YOU WRITE SOOOOOOOO MUCH. I THINK YOU NEED TO TAKE A CREATIVE WRITING CLASS!
@ mystery person: Neera i know its u.. stop msging me as mystery person.. :):)
Post a Comment